Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 1 deep dish pie shell, baked
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, Grated
- 3 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 cup whipped topping, thawed
- chocolate shavings, garnish
- lemon slice (for garnish)
- Soak gelatin in water.
- In double boiler over gently simmering water, beat yolks; add 1/2 cup sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook, stirring until mixture coats the bottom of a spoon.
- Add grated lemon peel, gelatin and food coloring. Stir well.
- Cool in refrigerator about 1/2 hour until slightly thickened.
- Beat egg whites with 1/2 cup sugar; fold into lemon mixture.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Spoon into baked pie crust. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours before serving.
- garnish with chocolate shavings and lemon slices.