Recipe by KittyKitty
I love lemon, this is a really good pie, I like to make in summer. If you are using a store bought graham cracker crust, the filling is enough for 2 pies. Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
- lemon slice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften gelatin in cold water; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Combine yolks, 1 cup sugar, lemon rind, juice, and salt in a saucepan; stir until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat;add gelatin, and stir until gelatin granules dissolve. Cool.
- Beat egg whites ( at room temp) until foamy;gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites and whipped cream into lemon mixture, pour into crust. Chill until set. Garnish with lemon slices.