1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
I like this pie best with a graham cracker crust but you can use a pastry crust. Looks lovely garnished with fresh berries. Chill overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 store-bought graham cracker crust
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup lemonade
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs, separated (whites brought to room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- salt (a big pinch)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Bake piecrust according to package directions and let cool; refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2Meanwhile, add water to a small bowl; sprinkle the gelatin over the water and set aside.
- 3In a medium saucepan (preferably nonstick), whisk the lemonade, lemon juice, 1/2 cup of sugar, egg yolks, lemon zest, and salt together.
- 4Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 7-9 minutes or until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon (do not let mixture boil or it will curdle).
- 5Remove from heat; stir in the softened gelatin and immediately pour into a large bowl.
- 6Let cool for 10 minutes; then refrigerate for 50-60 minutes or just until the mixture turns lumpy (this indicates the gelatin is starting to thicken it).
- 7In a large bowl, beat the 4 egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 8Beat in the cream of tartar.
- 9Gradually add in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating at high speed until the whites are thick and glossy.
- 10Beat in the vanilla.
- 11The whites should be firm but not dry.
- 12Gently fold about one-third of the whites into the lemon mixture.
- 13Add the remaining whites and continue to fold until evenly blended.
- 14Transfer the filling into the cooled pie shell and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- 15Cover with loosely tented foil and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- 16Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and berries on top.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Chiffon Pie
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.1
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 208.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 39.0 g
- Protein 5.2 g