Recipe by RoxiGirl
I got this recipe out of one of my cookbooks; I don't remember which one however. This is really good and easy to make, especially in the summer. I actually have had one of these set in my freezer (wrapped up really good) for a couple weeks.
- 24 ladyfingers, halves
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice concentrate
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup whipping cream, stiffly whipped
- yellow food coloring (optional for color)
Directions See How It's Made
- Line bottom and sides of a 9X5 loaf pan with foil, extending the foil 1 inch beyond the edge of the pan (all 4 edges). Line sides of pan with ladyfinger halves. In a large bowl combine sweetened condensed milk, lemon concentrate, and optional food coloring.
- In a small mixer bowl beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff but not dry. Fold egg whites into the lemon mixture; then fold in the whipped cream. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, cover filling with 6 remaining ladyfinger halves. Cover and chill or freeze 4 hours or until set. Invert onto a serving plate; peel off foil. Garnish as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
- I have found that I use more than 24 ladyfinger halves and usually end up with some extra filling. So I make sure I have enough ladyfingers to have extra if needed.
- I have also peeled a lemon and used the lemon peel to form a flower for garnish along with either mint leave or a leave from my flower garden to set by the flower.
- I often prepare ahead and freeze over night. Prep time includes chilling time.