Yield 15 servings Diabetic recipe from the SPLENDA company. Nutritional Information, per serving: Energy: 151 calories; Protein: 3.5 g; Fat: 8.1 g; Carbohydrates: 15.9g. Per serving with glaze: Energy: 167 calories; Protein: 3.5 g; Carbohydrates: 20.0 g. Preparation time does not include 45 minutes cooling.
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted cake-and-pastry flour
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- In a bowl, sift together flour, SPLENDA, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in centre of flour mixture.
- Add ingredients to well in the following order: oil, egg yolks, water, lemon rind and juice.
- Beat with mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until very stiff peaks form.
- Add batter and fold in gently.
- Pour into ungreased 10-inch (25 cm) tube pan or non-stick Bundt pan.
- Bake at 325F (160C) for about 50 minutes.
- Invert pan and cool for 45 minutes.
- Gently loosen cake from pan.
- LEMON GLAZE: Mix 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar and about 1 Tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice, until smooth Drizzle over cooled cake.