Recipe by Poohbear Pam
This is a light, lemony cake which I love to make for birthdays. An instant favorite!!!
Top Review by waynejohn1234
This is a beautiful cake which I have been making for many years. Surprised it hasn't been reviewed yet. Sometimes I just use sweetened whipped cream with grated lemon rather than a sweeter frosting. This cake also excellent with raspberry or blueberry sauce.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon, zest of (about 1 lemon)
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 2 1⁄2 cups lemon flavor instant pudding and pie filling
- 8 slices lemons
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine sifted flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add oil, egg yolks, water and lemon zest.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whits and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, and beat until very stiff and shiny peaks form.
- Fold 1/2 of the whites into the batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain.
- Turn batter into ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Invert cake and cool completely in pan.
- When cool, loosen edges and shake pan to remove cake.
- To make filling: Fold Cool Whip into prepared lemon filling.
- Chill until stiff.
- To assemble cake: Slice cake horizontally into 3 equal layers.
- Fill layers with 1/2 cup of filling.
- Spread remaining filling on outside of cake.
- Decorate with lemon slices.