Recipe by ekoh
A chiffon cake recipe from Martha Stewart. Since chiffon cakes are made with oil, they will not get hard when refrigerated, so you can enjoy these for a bit longer.
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (about 4 lemons)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees and ready an ungreased 7-inch tube pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and 3/4 cup granulated sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, vegetable oil, 1/3 cup water, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla. Add remaining dry ingredients; beat until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, use electric mixer on medium speed to beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and beat on high speed until soft peaks form after about a minute. Gradually add remaining tablespoon of granulated sugar while beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually fold egg-white mixture into batter by folding in 1/3, then the remaining 2/3.
- Pour batter into pan; smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean and cake is golden.
- Remove cake from oven and invert the pan over a glass soda bottle for 2 hours to cool.
- Turn cake right-side up, and remove cake by running a table knife between cake and pan and inverting the pan. Dust cake with confectioners' sugar and serve.