Recipe by Lee_tah
From Super Food Ideas magazine(July 2007). Be sure to use good quality olives, they make the dish. The lemon slices look very dramatic and give the dish a strong lemon flavour. Sometimes I just use grated lemon rind.
Top Review by Catherine Robson
This a lovely meal - very simple to put together and the flavours were worth the wait. I will try to get my lemon slices a little thinner next time. Thank you for sharing.
- 6 -8 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 small lemon, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup kalamata olive, pitted
- salt & pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry off chicken until browned, about 5 minutes. Put aside and keep warm.
- In the same fry pan, fry off onions and garlic. Cook til transparent or soft, about 3 minutes. Stir often.
- Add chicken back to the pan.
- Add tomatoes, lemon slices, sugar and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 40 minutes. It is ready when the sauce is thickened and the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in olives in the last few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed.