Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Super Food Ideas magazine(July 2007). Be sure to use good quality olives, they make the dish. The lemon slices look very dramatic and give the dish a strong lemon flavour. Sometimes I just use grated lemon rind.
- 6 -8 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 small lemon, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup kalamata olive, pitted
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Fry off chicken until browned, about 5 minutes. Put aside and keep warm.
- In the same fry pan, fry off onions and garlic. Cook til transparent or soft, about 3 minutes. Stir often.
- Add chicken back to the pan.
- Add tomatoes, lemon slices, sugar and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 40 minutes. It is ready when the sauce is thickened and the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in olives in the last few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
This a lovely meal - very simple to put together and the flavours were worth the wait. I will try to get my lemon slices a little thinner next time. Thank you for sharing.