Recipe by MarieRynr
This is the essence of French country cooking. A simple roast chicken is sliced onto a bed of warm croutons so they soak up all those delicious juices. How good is that? In my opinion, roast chicken in any way shape or form can't be beat...
Top Review by Linda Saslove
This Barefoot Contessa recipe from her Paris book is simply sensational. I made it twice this week it was so good. Some changes: used chicken breasts only, 350 for 1 hour, second time made mashed potatoes instead of croutons. Out of this world. Also sprinkled olive oil and kosher salt on slice onions. Also sprinkle good amount of herbs de provence on top of breasts. Highly recommended. So fresh, so French. Linda
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 cups bread cubes, 3/4 inch (1 baguette or round boule)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the giblets from the chicken and wash it inside and out.
- Remove any excess fat and pinfeathers.
- Toss the onion with a little olive oil in a small roasting pan.
- Place the chicken on top and sprinkle with the salt and pepper inside.
- Place the lemons inside the chicken.
- Pat the outside of the chicken dry with paper towel, brush with the melted butter, and sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
- tie the legs together with kitchen string, and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- Roast for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh.
- cover with foil and allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes (the onions may burn, but the flavor is good).
- meanwhile, heat a large saute pan with 2 TBs of olive oil until very hot.
- Lower the heat to medium low and saute the bread cubes, tossing frequently, until nicely browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add more olive oil as needed, and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Place the croutons on a serving platter.
- Slice the chicken and place it, with all the pan juices, over the croutons.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve warm.