Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the North African Kitchen
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 lbs roasting chickens, cut into pieces
- 1 preserved lemon, finel sliced
- 5 1⁄2 ounces olives
- Mix onion, half the cilantro and parsley, the spices, salt and half the lemon juice and olive oil. Dilute with water to make a sauce.
- Rub some of the sauce over the outside of the chicken.
- Place chicken in a large cooking pan.
- pour the rest of the mixture around the meat, cover and simmer over medium heat for 30 to 45 minutes. Turn occasionally and add more water if necessary.
- When chicked cooked through, add the remaining cilantro and parsley and pour over the remaining lemon juice. Leave to simmer hard for a few more minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Arrange chicken on a dish and garnish with slices of preserved lemon and olives.
I made this using my tagine. I cut back the amount of oil to 1/4 cup & I used only 2 lbs of chicken. I served over white rice. Made for Fall PAC 2008