Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Milk in a stir-fry? No suprise that this one comes from the dairy board. It's among their most requested recipes for the past 25 years, try it for yourself and see.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, diagonally sliced (or 1 cup baby carrots cut in half lengthwise)
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped (or pressed)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped gingerroot
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- 1 red sweet bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in strips
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 green onions, sliced on the diagonal
- Heat oil in a wok or non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Stir-fry onions and carrots first until tender and then add garlic, ginger, hot pepper flakes and chicken and stir until chicken is browned.
- Mix flour well into cold milk and stir into hot pan.
- Add lemon zest and peppers, stir until bubbling and slightly thickened.
- Stir in soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with green onions.
- Serve over hot rice.
The huge amount of ginger and garlic in this makes it special. I am seeing cream based dishes on more Asian menus, nowadays. It isn't authentic Asian, but neither is egg foo yung! The lemon juice adds a nice and bright fresh taste to it and the only thing I added additionally was cilantro. I like it!