Recipe by Delicious as it Looks
This delicious and healthy chicken soup has a tangy bonus: lemon juice. It's also very easy to put together and makes a big batch. I like to freeze in individual containers for a quick lunch.
Top Review by NatashaLFlorence
This recipe was our first use of quinoa. It was FABULOUS! It was warm and filling for the winter, but also light and a tang of lemon, making it great for a spring day. I try to be as healthy as possible, while also meeting my husbands need for "non gross food". He LOVED this soup. He went back for thirds. Even my son of 11 months old devoured the chunks. <br/><br/>We made a few changes to the recipe. We cut the lemon juice in half and used kale instead of spinach (because it was what we had in our fridge).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb chopped boneless skinless chicken breast (raw or cooked)
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chopped fresh Baby Spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the carrots, celery and onion in the olive oil for about 7 minutes. Add chicken broth, chicken, quinoa, lemon juice and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is tender, 20 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until tender.