1/2 Photos of Lemon Chicken Soup With Orzo
1 hr 25 mins
Ellie Krieger, The Food You Crave. 1 ½ cup serving = 280 calories
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into small chunks
- salt (to taste)
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 c.)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/2 c.)
- 1 medium carrot, diced (about 1/2 c.)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo pasta, preferably whole wheat
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pot over med-high heat; season the chicken with salt and add it to the pot; cook/stir occasionally, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes; transfer the chicken to a dish; set aside.
- 2Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pot; add in onions, celery, carrot, and thyme; cook/stir over med-high heat until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add in 5 cups broth and bring to a boil; add in orzo and let simmer until tender, about 8 minutes.
- 4Decrease heat to low to keep the soup hot, but not boiling.
- 5Warm the remaining 1 cup broth in a small pan until it is hot, but not boiling.
- 6In a bowl, beat the eggs; gradually whisk the lemon juice into the eggs; then gradually add the hot broth to the lemon-egg mixture, whisking all the while.
- 7Add the mixture to the soup, stirring well until the soup is thickened.
- 8Do not let the soup come to a boil; add in cooked chicken; season to taste with salt and pepper; serve.
Browse Our Top Low Sat. Fat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Chicken Soup With Orzo
Serving Size: 1 (562 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.8
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 129.2 mg
- Sodium 239.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 28.5 g