Ellie Krieger, The Food You Crave. 1 ½ cup serving = 280 calories
Make and share this Lemon Chicken Soup With Orzo recipe from Food.com.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into small chunks
- salt (to taste)
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 c.)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/2 c.)
- 1 medium carrot, diced (about 1/2 c.)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo pasta, preferably whole wheat
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pot over med-high heat; season the chicken with salt and add it to the pot; cook/stir occasionally, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes; transfer the chicken to a dish; set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pot; add in onions, celery, carrot, and thyme; cook/stir over med-high heat until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in 5 cups broth and bring to a boil; add in orzo and let simmer until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Decrease heat to low to keep the soup hot, but not boiling.
- Warm the remaining 1 cup broth in a small pan until it is hot, but not boiling.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs; gradually whisk the lemon juice into the eggs; then gradually add the hot broth to the lemon-egg mixture, whisking all the while.
- Add the mixture to the soup, stirring well until the soup is thickened.
- Do not let the soup come to a boil; add in cooked chicken; season to taste with salt and pepper; serve.