Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful clear soup with flavors that "pop" like lemon and cilantro. So light and refreshing.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon, juice and grated rind
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to tasted
- Place chicken in pot with bay leaf and cover with cold water.
- Bring to boil and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken and chop/shred when cool.
- Bring chicken broth to a simmer, add chicken pieces, lemon juice and grated rind.
- Add chopped yellow onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes.
- Add corn, tomatoes, green onion and cilantro.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Taste and correct seasonings.
This soup is very light and flavorful. It got two thumbs up from both my picky eaters. I froze about half of it in individual containers, and am so glad that I did. My daughter was sick yesterday and she pulled one out and heated it up, said it helped her feel a lot better.
I really enjoyed this soup a lot! I thought that the 7 cups of broth was too little though, and I would recommend using at least 10 cups for all the ingredients that it has. The flavor was outstanding, and I will certainly make it again. Thanks!
I really enjoyed the lemony flavor this soup has. I made a few adjustments to fit my tastes. I left out the chicken breasts, I'm slowly trying to become vegetarian. I left out the bay leaf because I didn't have any. I used white onion instead of yellow, 1 can of Veg-All instead of corn, and I added some pasta shells. Thanks for the recipe!