Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This easy soup makes a nice lunch or light supper. As some ingredients may not be readily available in all areas, substitutes are listed. From Simply THAI Cooking. Updated to list ingredients in order of addition.
- 4 cups water
- 1 stick lemongrass, smashed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 inch fresh galangal root, sliced in thin rounds (may sub. ginger root)
- 5 fresh lime leaves (may sub. 2 T. lime juice)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili paste
- 8 ounces fresh tomatoes, cut in 3/4-inch dice
- 2 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 8 ounces chicken breast halves, sliced in 1/4-inch strips
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 fresh hot chili peppers
- fresh cilantro leaves
- Boil 4 cups water in a soup pot. Add lemon grass, galangal, and lime leaves and cook 1 minutes. Add fish sauce and chili paste, cook 1 minute, and reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes and mushrooms, cook 3 minutes, until broth bubbles again.
- Turn heat to maximum and add chicken strips. Stir to separate, and cook 5 minutes until chicken is done.
- Add 4 T. lime juice (this is in addition to the lime juice previously added, if you were substituting for the lime leaves). Stir.
- Crush chiles and cut in half. Add to soup and stir.
- Remove from heat, transfer to soup tureen and sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.
Thank you for a great recipe,it's my favorite soup in the Thai resto, but could not find authentic recipe, this one seems to be the real one - same ingredients ! They call it *Tom yam(yum) soup *.
Australia has an abundance of fresh Asian ingredients, so I was able to make this delicious soup as written (even had fresh galangal). This dish has a wonderful blend of flavours, and a great balance of heat and sour. Used fresh kaffir lime leaves, and sambal oelek for the chili paste. Sliced the mushrooms because I missed the advice to quarter them. One comment -- I find it easier to follow the instructions when the order of the ingredient list matches the order in which the ingredients are used. Thanks for a great soup. Yummo!