Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is lovely for an intimate dinner party!
Make and share this Lemon Chicken Salad with Spicy Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 red chile, seeded and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, lightly crushed
- 4 spring onions, finely diced
- 450 ml chicken stock
- 250 g couscous
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger, finely chopped
- 1 grated limes, juice and rind of
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled,seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 50 g baby salad leaves, well picked over
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground white pepper
- Remove the skin and sinew from the chicken breasts and pull off the breast fillets.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut all the meat on the diagonal into very thin slices across the grain.
- Place in a non-metallic bowl and pare over the lemon rind, then add half the garlic and lemon oil.
- Add a pinch of salt and give about twelve turns of the pepper mill.
- Stir to combine, cover with clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes and up to six hours.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add the remaining garlic, the chilli and coriander seeds.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring and then add the spring onions and stock.
- Bring to the boil and season to taste, then pour in the couscous in a thin steady stream, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon until the stock is absorbed.
- Add the pickled ginger and lime rind and mix well to combine.
- Remove from the heat, cover and set aside for 5 minutes, fluffing up with a fork half way through to help the grains swell up.
- Add the tomatoes, olive oil, lime juice and fresh coriander, stir well again and cover with clingfilm.
- Set aside for up to six hours.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan until very hot.
- Add the sunflower oil and flash fry the chicken until tender and lightly caramelised.
- Add the juice of half a lemon then tip out on to kitchen paper to drain.
- The couscous can be served at room temperature or it can be heated in a microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, just make sure you puncture the clingfilm first.
- Place a pile in the centre of each the serving plate and scatter around the chicken.
- Place the salad leaves in a bowl, season and then dress with the remaining olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Pile on top of the couscous and drizzle the remaining lemon oil around the edge of the plate to serve.