Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is lovely for an intimate dinner party!
Make and share this Lemon Chicken Salad with Spicy Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 red chile, seeded and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, lightly crushed
- 4 spring onions, finely diced
- 450 ml chicken stock
- 250 g couscous
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger, finely chopped
- 1 grated limes, juice and rind of
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled,seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 50 g baby salad leaves, well picked over
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground white pepper
- Remove the skin and sinew from the chicken breasts and pull off the breast fillets.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut all the meat on the diagonal into very thin slices across the grain.
- Place in a non-metallic bowl and pare over the lemon rind, then add half the garlic and lemon oil.
- Add a pinch of salt and give about twelve turns of the pepper mill.
- Stir to combine, cover with clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes and up to six hours.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add the remaining garlic, the chilli and coriander seeds.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring and then add the spring onions and stock.
- Bring to the boil and season to taste, then pour in the couscous in a thin steady stream, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon until the stock is absorbed.
- Add the pickled ginger and lime rind and mix well to combine.
- Remove from the heat, cover and set aside for 5 minutes, fluffing up with a fork half way through to help the grains swell up.
- Add the tomatoes, olive oil, lime juice and fresh coriander, stir well again and cover with clingfilm.
- Set aside for up to six hours.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan until very hot.
- Add the sunflower oil and flash fry the chicken until tender and lightly caramelised.
- Add the juice of half a lemon then tip out on to kitchen paper to drain.
- The couscous can be served at room temperature or it can be heated in a microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, just make sure you puncture the clingfilm first.
- Place a pile in the centre of each the serving plate and scatter around the chicken.
- Place the salad leaves in a bowl, season and then dress with the remaining olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Pile on top of the couscous and drizzle the remaining lemon oil around the edge of the plate to serve.