1/2 Photos of Lemon Chicken Rice Soup
I got this recipe from a friend, who served it to me one chilly night. It is very much a "comfort food" for me and quite easy to make with leftover chicken. When you are adding the eggs, be careful to add them very slowly and make sure the soup is not too hot, otherwise your eggs will split. I find it helps to take the soup off the burner for a few minutes before adding the eggs. You should end up with a smooth cream-like base to your soup, not broken eggy bits like in egg drop soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/3 cup rice, uncooked
- 1/3 cup carrot, diced
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken, cubed and cooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- lemon slice (optional)
- sliced green onions or parsley (optional)
- 1In a large saucepan, combine chicken broth, bouillon cube, rice, carrots, celery and onion.
- 2Bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice and vegetables are tender.
- 4Stir in chicken.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Then, in a small saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour until smooth.
- 7Gradually add 2 cups of broth mixture, cook until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- 8In a small bowl, beat the eggs until frothy.
- 9Gradually beat lemon juice and 2 cups thickened broth into the large pot of soup.
- 10Very slowly add egg mixture into the soup, stirring constantly. Do not do this if your soup is boiling or very hot or your eggs will split. You may want to take the soup off the burner for a few minutes before you add the eggs.
- 11Heat gently until soup thickens enough to coat a spoon-- do not boil!
- 12Add salt and pepper to taste, garnish with lemon.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Chicken Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.6
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 154.9 mg
- Sodium 1477.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 14.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: