Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is from Cooking Light. Posting for ZWT3. Greece.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon all purpose Greek seasoning, blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 4 (6 inch) pita bread, cut in half
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomatoes
- Combine first 6 ingredients; add 1 teaspoon rind, stirring well.
- Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into 1/4-inch-thick oval patties.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add patties; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1 teaspoon rind, yogurt, and oregano, stirring well.
- Fill each pita half with 1 patty, 1 tablespoon yogurt mixture, 1/4 cup lettuce, and 1 tablespoon tomato.
So easy and I was surprised at how flavorful this was! I made 6 patties instead of 8 - it was awesome.
I made this when I saw it in Cooking Light and we loved it! I could eat this all day long. It's very healthy and is packed with flavor. Thanks for posting it!