Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I threw this together for a friend and it turned out so yummy! I used homemade vegetable stock for the sauce but you can use chicken broth or chicken stock, or a combination of stock and milk, with similar results. I have left out amounts for the salt and pepper -- use these according to your preference. Please note that preparation time does not include time to marinate.
Chicken and Marinade
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons Italian dressing, any flavor
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper (or fresh ground black pepper and lemon zest)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of
- parmesan cheese
- 1 lb penne rigate (or other short pasta)
- Cube chicken breasts and marinate in italian dressing, salt and lemon pepper for at least half an hour. The longer you marinate, the more flavorful the chicken.
- Start the pasta. Salt the water after it comes to a boil, right before adding the pasta. Cook pasta about 3/4 of the way. When done, reserve a cup or two of the water, then drain the pasta and return it to the hot pot. This will evaporate any residual water.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic to skillet, and season with salt and pepper. Saute a minute or two.
- Add lemon zest.
- Add chicken and let it brown on all sides.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine.
- Deglaze pan with white wine and whisk to begin dissolving the flour.
- Whisk in stock.
- Add basil and corriander seed.
- Bring to boil and let thicken.
- Pour sauce over pasta, stir to coat well, and simmer over medium low heat to let the pasta absorb the sauce. If the sauce is too thick to coat the pasta with more to spare, add the reserved pasta water to thin it out a bit. You want the pasta to absorb some of the sauce as it finishes cooking all the way.
- To serve, squeeze lemon juice over pasta and sprinkle with parmesan.
This was pretty good. I enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun to make but I really didn't like the coriander in it at all. Next time I will have to leave it out and maybe add more salt.
Great quick easy pasta!! I used Buittoni fettucini which cooks in 2-3 mins..I used just garlic, lemon zest, white wine, salt pepper, flour and chicken stock. No chicken on hand...sprinkled parm-regg and lemon juice at the end and it was fabulous! You do not miss the cream in this dish! Next I'll add chicken or shrimp for an even bigger meal! Thanks!