Recipe by Chef Dee
Lightly breaded and a distinct lemon flavor, this is a tasty chicken recipe. My teenage son made it, and we were surprised how close it was to our favourite chinese restaraunt. He found it on another site, then changed some things to make it easier ....now we wouldn't make it any other way.
Top Review by LonghornMama
One of my sons really enjoyed this but it seemed to be missing something. Only change I made was to use less oil, about a cup in a large skillet. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups oil
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 lemons
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Cut each chicken breast into 3 pieces then.
- marinate them in the soya sauce.
- Whisk the 1/4 c.cornstarch and baking powder together, then beat in the eggs.
- Chill in refrigerator while you make the sauce.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Stir in the lemon juice and chicken broth, then set aside.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the chilled batter, then fry in hot oil in a frying pan until brown.
- Spray a 9x13 glass pan with cooking spray, then lay the chicken in it.
- Using the same frying pan, add 2 tablespoons oil. Slice one of the lemons, and stir fry until they start to brown. Stir in the remaining sauce mixture, continue stirring until the sauce has thickend.
- Pour over the chicken.
- Slice the remaining lemon, and layer over the chicken.
- Bake for 30-40 min's until the chicken is done.
- Serve over steamed or fried rice.