Recipe by mariposa13
Needs to marinate at least 6 hours (not including in cooking times).
Top Review by French Tart
A wonderful recipe - you need to be well organised however! I popped my chicken in the fridge over night in the marinade - this is something I often do with chicken breasts as they can be dry. I am VERY sorry that I could NOT make the recipe with ALL the ingredients listed; savory is NOT seasonal right now, so I left it out! I also could NOT get any plum tomatoes, so I resorted to local round tomatoes. Everything else was as stated. I served this for Valentine's Day with Parmesan and Wild Mushroom rice and lovage as a garnish. I FORGOT the lemon slices - ooops, but the dish was elegant and extremely tasty. I am used to using cognac, champagne and creme fraiche in my recipes and my cooking - and the technique was very well written. A lovely recipe which I would like to try again when my Savory is in season in my Herb Garden here in France! Made for PRMR - thanks for posting! FT:-)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 lemons, zest of, grated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh savory
- 3 -4 Italian plum tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons cognac or 2 tablespoons brandy
- 4 -6 lemon slices
- 1 cup nonvintage champagne
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
Directions See How It's Made
- With a sharp knife, cut chicken breasts in quarters, lenghtwise.
- Arrange in a single layer in a large glass baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine wine, lemon juice, zest, oil, and 3 tbsp savory.
- Pour over chicken breasts.
- Cover and refridgerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Bake for 20-25 min or until chicken is tender, adding tomato quarters to baking dish during last 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour cognac in small saucepan.
- Warm it and flame it with a match.
- When flames subside, add butter and saute lemon slices for 2 minute per side.
- Add champagne to saucepan and cook over high heat until reduced by half.
- Whisk in the cream and creme fraiche.
- Boil to the consistency of thick creme.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp chopped savory.
- Arrange chicken and tomatoes on plates.
- Spoon over sauce and garnish with lemon slices.