1/1 Photo of Lemon, Chicken & Green Olive Tagine
bluemoon downunder's Note:
A traditional Moroccan tagine which I found in the October 2008 'Australian Good Food' magazine which assures you that this recipe will take you on a romantic escape to Marrakech "without aid of a flying carpet". This recipe is for two, but the quantity could easily be increased. Essentially the only change I made to this recipe was to suggest sneaking in some wine, which is what I'll certainly do when I make it. If you cannot find Turkish bread, use pita bread or any crusty bread suitable for mopping up the juices. This recipe can be prepared ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 chicken thigh fillets, halved
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 350 g desiree potatoes, peeled, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 25 g preserved lemons, cut into strips
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Turkish bread, sliced, to serve
- 1Heat the oil over a high heat in a heavy-based pan or tagine dish, and cook the chicken in batches for 2 minutes on each side until lightly browned; remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- 2Reduce the heat to medium and saute the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes or until it has softened; add the turmeric and cumin and cook for another minute, until fragrant.
- 3Return the chicken to the pan with 21/2 cups of water (or a mix of water and white wine); bring to the boil, then simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.; remove the chicken from the pan and keep warm.
- 4Add the potato to the pan and simmer, covered, for 12-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- 5Meanwhile, place the olives in a small pan, cover with water and bring to the boil; drain off the water, then repeat this step.
- 6Return the chicken to the pan with the olives, preserved lemon, lemon juice and parsley and stir to combine well until all the ingredients are heated through.
- 7Serve with Turkish bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon, Chicken & Green Olive Tagine
Serving Size: 1 (493 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.5
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 114.5 mg
- Sodium 136.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 32.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: