Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Not exactly an authentic Lemon Chicken, but I believe this is very tasty. I have also added mandarin oranges to the sauce. You may use frozen stir-fry veggies to cut some of the prep time. My sister always requests this when she visits.
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup carrot, julliened
- 1 can pineapple chunk, drained
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced thin and seperated into rings
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 cup water chestnut, sliced
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, sherry, soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Mix together, cover and refrigerate.
- Let marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Steam the carrots and broccoli until tender.
- In a wok, lightly saute the onion and red pepper until tender.
- (May add a little oil, if necessary.) Combine all carrots, broccoli, onion, red pepper and water chestnuts and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat together the eggs, 1/4 cup cornstarch and baking powder to form a batter.
- In a wok, heat 2 cups oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Coat chicken with batter and fry in wok until browned.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, broth, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Mix together and add lemon slices.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok and slowly stir in lemon sauce mixture.
- Cook, stirring, until sauce is clear.
- Add the pineapple chunks.
- To serve, layer rice (not included in this recipe), chicken and vegetables on plate and pour sauce over.
This took awhile to make but everyone liked it and I'll sure make it again. I added the sauce in to the vegetables and then poured it over the rice. The first time I made it I didn't use the pineapple and it was still excellent.
I loved this, even though it was a lot of work (or seemed like it - I have a lot of little kids to deal with while preparing dinner). I loved the flavors. I am going to request that my husband make this for me for my birthday this year!