Recipe by ladygwyn
From old Better Homes recipe cards. This uses both lemon juice and lemon rind and a touch of brown sugar. Prep time is an estimate. I have not tried this, but hope to soon.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, salt and paprika in a plastic bag.
- Brush chicken with lemon juice.
- Add 2 or 3 pieces of chicken at a time to the bag.
- Shake to coat chicken well.
- In 12-in skillet brown the chicken slowly in hot shortening.
- Dissolve the bouillon in the boiling water in a bowl.
- To the boiling water add green onion, brown sugar, lemon peel and and remaining lemon juice.
- Stir well.
- Pour over chicken in skillet.
- cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Cook on low for 40 to 45 minutes or till chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Sprinkle with snipped parsley before serving if desired.