Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From the Farm Journal's Complete Home Baking Book, pg 300. This recipe had more lemon juice than any other recipe I found already posted. Per the cookbook: "Old plantation favorite brought here originally from England. Its buttery-rich custard filling has a nut-brown topping."
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using an electric mixer at high speed, beat eggs in a bowl until well blended.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating well after each addition.
- Add the lemon juice, melted butter, cornmeal, flour, and salt.
- Beat well, using electric mixer at low speed.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake 40 minutes or until top is browned. Do not overbake. Cool on a rack.