Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I don't own a pressure cooker, but this recipe tempts me to get one. From "Pressure Cooking for Every Occasion" by Fagor America (2005) and published in my local paper. A 6 qt capacity cooker is required. The cooking time is for the cake served warm - it wll take longer to cool and chill, as is more customary with cheesecake.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate wafer crumbs or 1⁄2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 16 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease the bottom and sides of a round baking dish or springform pan that fits into the cooker. Coat the sides with crumbs and distribute the remaining crumbs on the bottom.
- Using an electric mixer or food processor, blend the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs, lemon juice, zest and vanilla. Beat until smooth, then pour into the prepared pan.
- Pour 2 cups water into a 6 qt or larger cooker. Set a trivet on the bottom to raise the bottom of the pan above the water. (I'd wrap the bottom of a springform pan in aluminum foil).
- Lock the lid in place. Over high heat, bring to high pressure. Reduce heat just enough to maintain high pressure and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the pressure to come down naturally. Remove lid, tilting away from you to release steam.
- Let the steam subside before removing the pan from the cooker. St on a wire rack to cool.
- If there is a small pool of condensed water in the middle of the cake, blot with paper towel.
- Serve warm, or cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve plain or with fresh fruit or cherry-pie filling on top.
My step-daughter and her husband declared this to be the best cheesecake they had ever tasted. We decided this was a NY-style cheesecake. It seems that no matter how good a springform pan claims to be, leakage occurs; I used redundant safeguards: 1) I lined the inside of the pan with aluminum foil to prevent the batter from leaking; 2) I then placed a parchment paper circle on the inside bottom, and lined the interior sides with parchment paper to make it easy to unveil the cheesecake; and 3) I laid another large piece of aluminum foil under the pan and pressed it up the sides to prevent the water bath from seeping into the pan. To make it easier to remove the cheesecake pan from the pressure cooker after cooking, I made 2 long 4-ply aluminum straps and crossed them at a 90° angle on top of the trivet, then placed the filled pan on top and fastened the ends of the straps above the pan. I had a good laugh at myself, but I experienced no leaks, so it was worth it! I'm not sure about chocolate wafers with a lemon cheesecake, so I used chocolate graham cracker crumbs. By the way, I used a 7"-diamerter, 3" tall Kaiser Noblesse springform pan, which fit easily into my oval 6-quart electric pressure cooker. My cheesecake cooked up perfectly, with no pool of water in the middle. I made this after dinner so it could chill overnight for the next day's dinner. This recipe produces a fine-tasting cheesecake without a lot of effort, and the smaller size is perfect for small households. Made for Rookie Recipe Tag.
Excellent and easy cheesecake! Genuine creamy, NY style cheesecake and so easy and quick to make. I mixed this according to the recipe and then baked in a buttered and parchment lined spring form pan (omitted the crumb crust). I placed the spring form in an Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker) on top of the trivet with 1 cup water in the bottom. When baked the time listed in the recipe, it wasn't quite done. I found 24 minutes to be perfect time for the Instant Pot. After blotting the condensation off the cooked cake, I added a sour cream topping. I whisked together 1 cup sour cream, 3 TB sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla. Poured on top of the cake and then put in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 10 mins to set the topping. I then cooled and refrigerated before removing from the spring-form pan. Everyone raves about this cheesecake.