Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Pillsbury.com. I haven't tried these yet, but wanted to post for safekeeping as they seem to be different from others posted here with an additional topping layer.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) box lemon cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). In large bowl, beat dry cake mix, butter and 1 of the eggs with electric mixer on low speed until crumbly. Press in bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch pan.
- In medium bowl, beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar on low speed. Stir in lemon peel and lemon juice until smooth. Reserve 1/2 cup; refrigerate. Beat remaining 2 eggs into remaining cream cheese mixture on medium speed until blended. Spread over cake mixture.
- Bake bars 23 to 28 minutes or until set. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Spread with reserved cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate about 3 hours or until firm. For bars, cut into 8 rows by 6 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.
Delicious! Used the yellow cake mix for this recipe, as I was concerned that a lemon cake mix would add too much lemon flavor, and it turned out just right. I have a Church potluck coming up and I plan to take this dish! Thanks for a great post! Made for Everyday is a Holiday tag game, November, 2011.
Made this using the lemon cake mix AND an additional teaspoon of lemon zest (love the taste of lemon) & these easy to make bars were fabulous! Great tasting & so satisfying! Think I'll keep the recipe around for future enjoyment! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup tag]