Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was in a magazine called "First". I cut it out because it sounded so yummy. I finally made these for Christmas Eve and they were a big hit...kept a few for a photo...crumbs and all...:)
- 2 lemons
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- Line an 8" or 9" square pan with a sheet of aluminum foil extending 2' beyond 2 sides of the pan.
- Grate 1 tsp of the yellow zest from a lemon and squeeze 3 tbs. juice.
- Beat butter, salt, 1/2 tsp lemon zest and 1/4 cup sugar until creamy.
- On low speed, beat in flour until crumbly.
- Beat in about 1 tbs lemon juice until dough just holds together.
- Press dough into bottom of prepared pan.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Bake crust until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Beat cheese with 2/3 cup sugar until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, 1/2 tsp lemon zest and 2 tbs. lemon juice.
- Pour over crust.
- Bake until cheesecake is firm and top puffs, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before cutting.
- Lift cheesecake out of pan using foil as handles.
- Cut into triangles.
These were great! I made as written except for using one brick of lower fat cream cheese & 1 reg. and then doubled the lemon zest in the crust. I baked mine in an 8" pan and I liked having a taller amount of the cheesecake. I don't consider these cookies, it's just a nice, easy to make cheesecake. The texture is not too creamy or too dry which was a perfect compromise as I like a creamy cheese cake and DH like NY style. He especially loved the crust as he doesn't care much for graham cracker ones. I'll definitely be making these again! Made for PRMRT.
I made a half batch this morning and I'm so glad that I only made half! I could just keep on eating these lovely things. Used Splenda and 95% fat free cream cheese so I don't feel as guilty as I could have, lol. Wonderful creamy goodness in a bar. It you like lemon you just can't go wrong with this recipe.
Wow, wow, wow Teresa. These were awesome, so good. Quick and really easy to make. We loved them. I made 1/2 the recipe for the two of us, wishing that I would have made the whole recipe, next time and there will be a next time. The tart lemon flavor is nestled in creamy cheesecake goodness. The bars really satisfied the cheesecake craving we were having, without all the calories and fuss. The lemon flavor is soft and subtle and the shortbread crust is excellent, crispy and perfect. Thank you for sharing your lovely recipe. It was the perfect ending to our wonderful Jamaican feast. Made FYC Tag Game 2015.