Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
My favourite cheesecake--lovely and lemony. If you serve it plain, try it with some fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate!
- 150 g digestive biscuits or 150 g coconut biscuits, crushed
- 100 g butter
- 30 ml gelatin
- 60 ml water, cold
- 125 ml milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 200 g sugar
- 2 lemons, juice and rind of, fresh grated
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- 500 g cream-style cottage cheese
- 250 ml cream, whipped
- Mix the butter and biscuits together and press into the base of a springform tin.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water, allow to become spongy.
- Dissolve by placing over boiling water or microwave for 30 seconds on medium.
- Combine milk, egg yolks, and sugar in a pan; place on medium heat and cook, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Pour in dissolved gelatin and lemon rind.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat lemon juice and vanilla into cheese, then gradually stir in the gelatin mixture.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites and three quarters of the whipped cream.
- Pour over pie crust.
- Refrigerate for several hours until firmly set.
- Remove from springform and decorate with the remaining cream.
- Variations: the lemon can be omitted, add extra vanilla to taste.
- The top can be finished off with berries such as black cherries or cape gooseberries.
- Drain the juice of the berries and sprinkle 15 ml gelatin over the juice, heat to dissolve, add the berries, and cool slightly.
- Pour over cheesecake in springform and leave to set.
Delicious, thank you for posting. Due to a mistake of mine, the cheesecake came out slightly soft so I froze it - really great when served with fresh strawberries. I used Hobnobs instead of Digestives, nice and crunchy.
I searched through about 15 fridge unbaked cheesecake receipes before I found yours. For some reason while reading your receipe I had a feeling you were South African and knew that it was exactly the type of cake we were looking at making. We are South African and live in Mauritius and are unable to pop over to Woolies to buy a heavenly fridge cheesecake... Your cheesecake was exactly what my mother and I were craving... THANKS!!!!