Recipe by Norahs Girl
My favourite cheesecake--lovely and lemony. If you serve it plain, try it with some fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate!
Top Review by Canary Bird Sue
Delicious, thank you for posting. Due to a mistake of mine, the cheesecake came out slightly soft so I froze it - really great when served with fresh strawberries. I used Hobnobs instead of Digestives, nice and crunchy.
- 150 g digestive biscuits or 150 g coconut biscuits, crushed
- 100 g butter
- 30 ml gelatin
- 60 ml water, cold
- 125 ml milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 200 g sugar
- 2 lemons, juice and rind of, fresh grated
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- 500 g cream-style cottage cheese
- 250 ml cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the butter and biscuits together and press into the base of a springform tin.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water, allow to become spongy.
- Dissolve by placing over boiling water or microwave for 30 seconds on medium.
- Combine milk, egg yolks, and sugar in a pan; place on medium heat and cook, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Pour in dissolved gelatin and lemon rind.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat lemon juice and vanilla into cheese, then gradually stir in the gelatin mixture.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites and three quarters of the whipped cream.
- Pour over pie crust.
- Refrigerate for several hours until firmly set.
- Remove from springform and decorate with the remaining cream.
- Variations: the lemon can be omitted, add extra vanilla to taste.
- The top can be finished off with berries such as black cherries or cape gooseberries.
- Drain the juice of the berries and sprinkle 15 ml gelatin over the juice, heat to dissolve, add the berries, and cool slightly.
- Pour over cheesecake in springform and leave to set.