Recipe by Sydney Mike
Slightly tweaked here, the original of this recipe was found in the 2009 cookbook, Taste of Home Best Church Supper Recipes. Preparation time includes neither the 1 hour or so needed for the lemon filling to come to room temperature before it is poured into the pie shell, nor the refrigerating of the finished pie until the lemon filling is set.
- 1 refrigerated pie dough, room temperature (or your own)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 2⁄3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest, minced
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 (8 ounce) package fat free cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- If using refrigerated pie dough, lightly roll it out to a 12-inch circle, then transfer it to a 9-inch pie plate, trimming the pastry, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang around the edge of the plate. Flute the edges, then line the pastry shell with a double layer of heavy-duty foil.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then remove the foil & bake another 5 minutes, before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch & salt, then stir in the water until blended.
- Bring to a boil, then cook & stir for 2 minutes or until the mixture is very thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat & stir in the butter, lemon zest & food coloring. Carefully stir in the 1/2 cup of lemon juice, before letting this mixture cool for about 1 hour, bringing it down to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, carefully beat the cream cheese & powdered sugar until smooth, then fold in the whipped topping & the last 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Spread this cheese mixture onto the baked crust, then top that with the lemon filling. Refrigerate for 6 hours or until the top is set, before slicing.