Recipe by Maine-iac
These are fabulous for parties or just for snacking. Very light but very delicious!
Top Review by Jo Ann L
Pleasant-tasting, but rather bland. To get a real lemony flavor, I'd double the amount of lemon in the cheese mixture, and maybe use a lemon cake mix, rather than yellow. I also thought about making it using the specified amount of lemon and a Betty Crocker chocolate fudge cake mix. It wouldn't exactly be "lemon" cheese bars, but I bet it would be good. Also, I wound up baking it in a 9x9 inch pan, because I couldn't imagine how the cheese mixture could spread over 9x13 inches; even in the 9x9 pan, it was fairly thin. Another time, I think I would double the amounts on the ingredients of the cheese mixture and do everything else as specified, including the pan size. If so, it might be necessary to up the second baking time a little to be sure the cheese mixture got cooked through.
- 1 (18 ounce) package Duncan Hines yellow pudding cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dry cake mix, 1 egg, and 1/3 cup vegetable oil until crumbly.
- Reserve 1 cup of the mixture.
- Pat remaining mixture in a lightly sprayed 9 by 13 in pan.
- Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees, and let cool.
- In a bowl, beat cheese, sugar, lemon juice, and 1 egg until smooth.
- Spread over baked layer.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 15-25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let cool and cut into bars.