1 hr 20 mins
I got the recipe for this delicious confection from a great baking book called "The Pastry Queen". The champagne works magic on these lemon bars, giving them a luscious flavour that sets them apart from other lemon squares. The strawberry topping is the piece de resistance. Cook time does not reflect chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 fresh lemons, zest of
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam (optional)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 6 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup champagne or 1/2 cup brut sparkling wine
- 3/4 cup chilled unsalted butter
- 1To make the crust, preheat the oven to 375°F Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- 2Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl about 3 minutes, until creamy.
- 3Add the flour, salt and zest. Beat just until incorporated.
- 4Press the dough evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- 5Let cool about 10 minutes. Spread the jam evenly over the cooled crust.
- 6Leave oven at 350°F.
- 7Whisk the egg yolks for the filling with the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and champagne in a large bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl).
- 8Cook about 15 minutes, whisking occasionally, until the mixture thickens. Cut the cold butter into bite sized pieces.
- 9Whisk the butter, one piece at a time into the lemon mixture. Cook about 10 minutes longer, whisking occasionally. The mixture will be thick and puddinglike.
- 10Pour the fillng over the prepared crust and bake for 10-12 minutes. Refrigerate the bars at least 2 hours over overnight. (If you are in a hurry they will get sufficiently cold after 1 hour in the freezer).
- 11Slice the strawberries thinly and arrange them in a single layer over the top of the lemon filling. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over top of the berries.
- 12Use a kitchen torch to melt the sugar until it is brown and crackly, or put the bars under a hot broiler for about 1 minute, until the sugar melts and browns. Watch carefully.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Champagne Bars With Strawberry Brulee Topping
Serving Size: 1 (2640 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3658.0
- Calories from Fat 1721
- Total Fat 191.3 g
- Saturated Fat 111.7 g
- Cholesterol 1690.8 mg
- Sodium 555.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 449.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 338.4 g
- Protein 43.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of