Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
I found this recipe in a Taste of Home cook book, and basically this is a yeast sweet bread, with a lemony nutty filling, covered with a zesty lemon drizzle. Tastes just yummy. I usually make this in a kitchen aid stand mixer, and it comes together rather easily, producing a nice soft dough. This was contributed by Marie Frangpane from Eugene, Oregon.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 3⁄4-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sour cream, egg, butter, sugar, salt and 11/4 cup of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Let rise for one hour or until doubled.
- Punch dough down, turn onto a lightly floured surface, divide into half. Let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each onto a 12 inch by 8 inch rectangle.
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients. Spread over half of the filling over dough to within 1/2 inch of edges. Fold in half lengthwise; pinch seams to seal. Cut into 12 strips. Holding both ends of strip, twist each strip 3 or 4 times.
- Place 2 inch apart on greased baking sheets, curve one end to form a cane. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375°F for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cooking sheet and transfer canes to wire racks and cool completely. Combine icing ingredients and drizzle over rolls.