1 hr 42 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I found this recipe in a Taste of Home cook book, and basically this is a yeast sweet bread, with a lemony nutty filling, covered with a zesty lemon drizzle. Tastes just yummy. I usually make this in a kitchen aid stand mixer, and it comes together rather easily, producing a nice soft dough. This was contributed by Marie Frangpane from Eugene, Oregon.
My Private Note
dozen t ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sour cream, egg, butter, sugar, salt and 11/4 cup of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2Turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Let rise for one hour or until doubled.
- 3Punch dough down, turn onto a lightly floured surface, divide into half. Let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each onto a 12 inch by 8 inch rectangle.
- 4In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients. Spread over half of the filling over dough to within 1/2 inch of edges. Fold in half lengthwise; pinch seams to seal. Cut into 12 strips. Holding both ends of strip, twist each strip 3 or 4 times.
- 5Place 2 inch apart on greased baking sheets, curve one end to form a cane. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- 6Bake at 375°F for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cooking sheet and transfer canes to wire racks and cool completely. Combine icing ingredients and drizzle over rolls.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Candy Canes
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.9
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 35.7 mg
- Sodium 245.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 18.8 g
- Protein 4.7 g