Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Found this recipe on the canada.com website from BCTV News. Sounds great - remember this one when you have delicious fresh berries this summer.
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 large lemons, zest of, of
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 lemons, juice of
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- Beat eggs until thick and pale yellow.
- Gradually add sugar.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, blend the vanilla and whipping cream.
- Alternately add the flour and cream to the eggs, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about one hour and 30-40 minutes.
- Glaze: In a small bowl, blend the lemon juice and sugar.
- Poke tiny holes all over the top of the cake and spoon mixture evenly on top to let it soak in.
- Cool cake in its pan on a rack.
- This cake freezes well.
- To Serve: Slice the cake in thin wedges, Serve with fresh seasonal berries and a scoop of lemon sorbet.