Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
A cake recipe I found on Betty Crocker.com that I am so excited to try! Uses a cake mix.
- 1 (18 ounce) boxbetty crocker supermoist lemon cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups raspberry pie filling (from 21-oz can)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- fresh raspberry, if desired
- mint leaf, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease bottoms only of two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans with shortening or cooking spray. In large bowl, beat cake mix, buttermilk, oil, lemon peel and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pans.
- Bake 8-inch rounds 30 to 36 minutes, 9-inch rounds 28 to 33 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around side of pans to loosen cakes; remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Place 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on serving plate. Spread 3/4 cup of the pie filling over cake layer to within 1/4 inch of edge. Top with second layer, rounded side up.
- In chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining 1 1/4 cups pie filling on low speed just until blended. Frost side and top of cake with raspberry mousse. Garnish with fresh raspberries and mint leaves. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
- ***For a smooth mousse, strain the raspberry seeds out of the pie filling. Place the filling in a mesh strainer or sieve over a bowl and use the back of a spoon to press the filling through the sieve.**.
Made a few adjustments to the recipe but nothing major ~ I love lemon so was generous with the lemon zest, & then, this time of year I opted out of any fresh raspberries! And the resulting cake was still absolutely delicious what with the combo of lemon & raspberry (my other half would have said "the combo of lemon, raspberry AND mint!" [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]