Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a light dessert from Taste of Home.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- powdered sugar (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick and smooth.
- Add water.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture just until moistened.
- Line a greased 15X10 inch baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper.
- Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Turn cake out onto a kitchen towel.
- Gently peel off the waxed paper.
- Beginning with short side, roll up cake, jelly roll style.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, egg, water and lemon juice.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Cook and stir 1 minute longer until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Unroll cake; spread cooled filling to within 1 inch of edges.
- Roll up again.
- Cover and chill for 1-2 hours before serving.
- Sprinkle with powedered sugar before serving, if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator.
This was an easy cake roll recipe to put together with ingredients that most people have on hand. However, I might have overbaked mine because it turned out really dry. It tasted kind of like cornbread. I will try this recipe again and see how it turns out.
I love making cake rolls and this recipe was easy to follow. Next time, I will double the filling. Also, I smashed 2 cups up raspberries mixed with sugar and placed this on top of the lemon filling. I also made a raspberry sauce to go over the cake and ice cream topped with Ready Whip.
This was Delicious! I'm not a big fan of the Pumpkin roll so Lemon sounded Great, this was the Bomb!