Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Sunset cookbook. I love this! It's my favorite pie. You get a lemon curd on the bottom and a thin lemon cake on the top but it pours into the pie crust all mixed up! Please use fresh squeezed lemon juice. If you love lemon desserts, you'll love this!
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie crust, I use Marie Callender's frozen. No need to defrost. No need to prebake
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel, I usually add more
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, please use fresh
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk, I use 2%
- Put rack on lowest position in oven.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a medium bowl, stir together melted butter and sugar.
- Stir in flour, salt, lemon peel and lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with milk until well blended, stir into lemon mixture.
- In another medium sized bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until they hold distinct but moist peaks. Gently fold egg whites into lemon mixture. (Don't mix it too much.).
- Pour filling into pie crust.
- I always end up with more filling than will fit in the pie crust so I put it in a couple ceramic rammekins and cook it along with the pie.
- Bake on the lowest rack of the oven until the top is browned and the center jiggles only slightly when pan is gently shaken (45-55 minutes). If the crust begins to brown excessively, drape it with foil.
- Let cool before serving. But it's good warm too!
I will update this review to include stars the next time I make it because I used Splenda (not Splenda blend) instead of sugar. I give my comments in case anyone else considers doing this... I loved the flavour of the filling, but instead of having two distinct layers, mine was more like a light chiffon cake with a lightly browned top after 40 minutes of baking. I would like to also have a curd layer, so I will experiment with a Splenda to sugar ratio to see if it could be acceptable for a diabetic diet and then rate if I achieve success.
This should be called Lemon Cloud Pie! The filling was so fluffy and had a melt-in-your-mouth texture. I like mine with less sweetness and more tang so I used only 1/2 cup sugar. It's the only thing I changed and the filling still turned out awesome. I especially like to chill in in the fridge before serving. (Baking note: mine done in 35-40 mins at 350F and in the last 10 mins I needed to cover it with foil cuz the color was becoming too brown.)
Lovely! I used 1 ts zest and 5 tbls juice (zest and juice of one lemon) and 1 1/4 C sugar - could up the lemoniness factor even further the next time. :-) For me, the recipe made just the right amount for a 9" deep pie dish! I covered the cake pie with parchment paper the last 20 minutes of baking to keep it from getting too brown, and it was most definitely done at 45 minutes; will check at 40 minutes or lower the heat just a tad the next time. And there will certainly be a next time! A great recipe, thanks for sharing!