Recipe by evelyn/athens
An Ina Garten recipe, slightly modified as I like my cakes slightly less sweet. A lovely loaf - great on its own or serve it with lemon curd and fresh raspberries.
Top Review by sugarpea
Made this for Dh as he's the lemon-lover and he did indeed love it. Served this with recipe #37890 which took it over the top. I liked the modification of less sugar, not missing it at all. Made this as a bundt cake. Next time I'll turn the heat down to 325? as it got a little too brown at the bottom of the pan while the top needed a full hour to complete baking.
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (2 1/2 cups original recipe)
- 4 extra large eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (1 tsp. original recipe)
For the Glaze
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar (2 cups original recipe)
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pans.
- Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and the lemon zest.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves and makes a syrup.
- When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes, then invert them onto a rack set over a tray, and spoon the lemon syrup over the cakes.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely.
- For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Pour over the top of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.