Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My mom put this together one summer and it has been a favorite of mine ever since. It's also a hit at pot-luck dinners and office parties. I hope you all enjoy it!!
- 1 box lemon cake mix or 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 (6 ounce) box lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4-1 cup lemon juice
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to temperature specified on cake mix.
- Mix the first five ingredients together to form cake batter.
- Pour into a prepared 9*13 dish and bake approximately 1 hour (a toothpick inserted will still be slightly moist).
- While the cake is baking, mix together the lemon juice and powdered sugar (should still be very liquidy, not a paste).
- When the cake is done, immediately fork several holes in the top of it.
- Pour the juice mixture onto the cake- make sure to get the edges too.
- Can be served warm or cooled.
This was an amazing, wonderful dessert! I cannot remember the last time I made something this delicious. I followed all directions to a T, but for some reason, the middle of my cake was sunken down. Therefore, the middle had a higher concentration of the sugar-lemon glaze. The more glaze there was, the more the cake tasted like a lemon bar. Yum! I found myself scraping up every bit of crumbs and solidified glaze from the bottom of the pan. My 2 year old loved this, but my 6 year old said it was too tart. He's picky though. My husband loved it. I would not hesitate to take this to a brunch, potluck, reunion or church function. It is both pretty and irresistibly yummy. Thanks for a keeper!
I made this last night to take over to my friends house for coffee and it was a hit. Everybody wanted the recipe it was great. It was very moist, and not to tart. Thanks for posting.