Recipe by aunty carol
This recipe is credited to Betty Gilbert whose recipe I found in James Martin's Village Show Cook Book. Makes a lovely moist cake can be served on its own or as a dessert. Especially good with mixed berries and a vanilla flavoured yoghurt.
Top Review by IngridH
We really enjoyed this cake! The lemon flavor is very intense, and the perfume of the warm cake just fills the room. This was very easy to make- went together in a flash! Simple to do, yet impressive enough for company. A definite winner!
- 175 g soft margarine
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 large lemon, juice and zest of, grated
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180oC/gas 4.
- Lightly grease a 900g(2lb) loaf tin and line with baking parchment.
- Cream the margarine, sugar and lemon zest. Beat in the eggs. Fold in the flour and then the milk.
- Spoon the mixture into tin. Bake for 35-40 mins, until firm to touch.
- Meanwhile, add the granulated sugar to the lemon juice and heat until almost dissolved.
- When the cake is baked and still hot, pierce the cake with a skewer and spoon the lemon juice mixture over. Allow to cool before removing from the tin.