- 200 g butter
- 200 g golden caster sugar
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large unwaxed lemons, zest of
FOR THE TOPPING
- 125 g golden granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, juice of (the lemon above plus one other)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
- You will need a spring-form 20cm. round cake tin, either non-stick or lined and buttered.
- Put the butter and sugar into the bowl of a food mixer and beat until light and fluffy, a matter of 3-5 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- The mixture will be quite loose. Sift the flour into the mixture and gently fold it in with a metal spoon.
- Scoop the mixture into the cake tin and bake until risen and golden, which should take about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the lemon juice and sugar together(the sugar doesn't have to be dissolved).
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave in the tin.
- Poke holes in the top of the cake about 30 times with a skewer or knitting needle.
- Pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the top.
- The juice will soak into the cake; the sugar will form a sour-sweet crust on top.