Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A simple but good lemony cake. This cake uses cake flour which isn't the same thing as all-purpose flour. Source: Bon Appetit Oct 1984.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel, grated
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cut into 6 pieces, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter a loaf pan (6-cup); set aside.
- Using a food processor and the steel knife, combine first 3 ingredients (flour - salt) and process for 3 seconds. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Using the food processor and same steel knife process sugar and lemon peel until peel is minced (20 seconds).
- Add eggs and process one minute, scrapping down work bowl. Add butter and process one more minute.
- Spoon reserved dry ingredients to work bowl and process using 2 on/off turns. Run spatula along sides to incorporate all dry ingredients and process using 1 or 2 on/off turns.
- Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes and insert onto rack, turning right side up.
- To make icing, mix powedered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Brush on top and sides of hot cake.
- Cool completely.
- Cake can be prepared 3 days ahead of time, wrapped tightly and stored at room temperature or can be frozen.
This is a wonderful cake! I made as stated on a processor but increased the baking powder by 1/2 teaspoon, and lined the bottom of the loaf pan with parchment paper. This cake will be enjoyed by my family, and I definatley will make again soon, thanks Ellie!...Kitten:)