Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Tartine Bakery, San Francisco, CA
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups full-fat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°. Butter a 2 quart souffle dish or six 6 oz ramekins or eight 4 oz ramekins.
- Choose a baking pan or baking dish for a water bath large enough to accommodate the souffle dish or the ramekins with out touching, and deep enough to hold water that will reach ¾ of the way up the sides of the molds when added.
- Pour enough water into the pan to reach about halfway up the sides of the pan, and place in the oven while it is heating.
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, buttermilk, lemon zest and juice until blended.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the egg yolk mixture; whisk the mixture together until smooth.
- Place egg whites in a bowl; using a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the whites until they hold soft peaks.
- Scoop 1/3 of the whites onto the yolk mixture and stir in to lighten the mixture.
- Gently fold in the remaining whites, being careful not to deflate the batter.
- Transfer batter to prepared dish or dishes.
- Pull out oven rack holding the water bath and place the mold(s) in the bath.
- Pour in more water if necessary to reach ¾ of the way up the sides of the mold(s).
- Bake about 30-40 minutes for the souffle dish or 25-35 minutes for the ramekins.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot, or let cool on a wire rack and serve warm or at room temperature.