Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mother found this recipe from a newspaper around 10 years ago but she never tried it out, so I decided to try it out,and it was a really delicious cake,is not too dry are too moist, just right,top with icing of your choice.
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift together flour baking soda.
- Put butter and sugar into mixing bowl, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs one by one.
- (mixture may look a little curdled) Add in buttermilk alternatively with flour mixture.
- Add in vanilla,lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Pour into greased 12" baking pan, Bake for 45 minute.
- or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
I bake for a living decided to try this recipe for one of my customers He loved it!! I did up the sugar a bit and used just pure vanilla extract! the texture was great very moist and I agree tastes better the following day! this is a keeper!!
This cake has a wonderful texture..but it tastes MUCH better if you let it sit for a day before cutting it. I tasted it right after I made it,and it had a strange off taste...the next day, it tasted delicious. My son loves it...will be making this one again. Also, I had to bake it for an hour, not 45 min.