Top Review by desertryder
Very nice old fashioned custard type pie. I added an extra egg and alittle extra buttermilk because my pie dish was extra deep. (photo submitted) and it turned out perfect. I also added alittle Watkins Lemon Extract for extra flavor. It was a big hit at our pot luck.. And I also want to ad, I did get to bring some home from that potluck leftover and overnight in the fridge, the flavors and texture of the pie intensified and was even better. Next time I make this pie, I will make it a day early and refridgerate it over night... WONDERFUL! YUM!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well.
- Add salt, grated lemon peel, lemon juice, and cornstarch; mix well.
- Add buttermilk.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into buttermilk mixture.
- Pour into the unbaked pie shell and bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Serve warm or cooled.