Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well.
- Add salt, grated lemon peel, lemon juice, and cornstarch; mix well.
- Add buttermilk.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into buttermilk mixture.
- Pour into the unbaked pie shell and bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Serve warm or cooled.
Very nice old fashioned custard type pie. I added an extra egg and alittle extra buttermilk because my pie dish was extra deep. (photo submitted) and it turned out perfect. I also added alittle Watkins Lemon Extract for extra flavor. It was a big hit at our pot luck.. And I also want to ad, I did get to bring some home from that potluck leftover and overnight in the fridge, the flavors and texture of the pie intensified and was even better. Next time I make this pie, I will make it a day early and refridgerate it over night... WONDERFUL! YUM!
I have to say I'm a little confused with this one..
It was very tasty but it took nearly double the cook time to cook completely? After 40 minutes my pie was 100% raw in the middle and still wasn't fully set after 85 minutes when we just took it out of the oven anyway. Also, it doesn't taste very good warm however it is delicious once refrigerated. My only issue with this is that due to the ridiculously long baking time, my crust was a little dry and because we had to refrigerate overnight the crust was a tiny bit stale/second day taste.
Not sure if I'll make again.
Made two pies and added coconut to the second. They were both excellent and practically "inhaled" at potluck. Is definately on my "make again" list.