Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is bit unusual. It's best served with a nice lemon sauce on the side or vanilla ice cream.The tube pan is buttered and dusted with fine unseasoned bread crumbs instead of flour. A keeper from an old Farm Journal magazine.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fine unseasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F Butter and dust 10" tube pan w/ fine unseasoned bread crumbs Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add 3/4 c sugar and beat well until whites form stiff peaks.
- Beat together shortening and 1 1/2 c.
- Blend in vanilla, lemon juice and peel.
- Add egg yolks and blend Sift flour baking powder, soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time alternating with buttermilk.
- Fold egg whites into batter Spoon into tube pan.
- Bake 75 minutes or until cake tests done with toothpick.
- Let set for 8-10 minutes and remove from tube pan.
- Cool 15 minutes Slice and serve with ice cream, whipped cream or lemon sauce.