Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
These go great with the Pink Lemonade Cupcakes.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 1 lb.)
- additional lemon juice or milk
- In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add Lemon juice and zest; beat well.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.
- When all sugar has been mixed in, if icing is dry, add additional juice or milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Re-whip before using.
I made this to top Lemonade Cupcakes for a birthday party. Just to up the lemon flavor, I added a packet of True Lemon also. It was a little too stiff after mixing, so I added some extra lemon juice to make it more spreadable. I really liked how the frosting was just tart enough to keep it from being super-sweet. Thanks for posting!