Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
oh this is so good. The name says it all.
Make and share this Lemon Butter Souffle with Warm Caramel Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 9 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon, zest of
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 7 large egg whites, room temperature
- icing sugar
Warm Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Whisk yolks with 5 tblsps lemon sugar in small bowl until thick and pale.
- Bring butter and juices to boil in small saucepan, stirring frequently.
- Gradually whisk into yolk mixture.
- Return to saucepan and whisk over medium-low heat until mixture resembles thick custard, about 4 minutes.
- Do not let boil.
- Pour into bowl and cool completely (can be prepared up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature and whisk before continuing.).
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F.
- Butter 2 ½ quart soufflé dish.
- Sprinkle 1 tblsp sugar over bottom and up sides of dish.
- Beat whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining lemon sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.
- Fold ¼ of whites into yolk mixture to lighten.
- Gently fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake until soufflé rises but center is not firm to touch, about 20 minutes.
- Sift icing sugar over top.
- Serve immediately, passing Warm Caramel Sauce separately.
- For Warm Caramel Sauce (about 1 ½ cups): Cook sugar and water in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil without stirring until sugar turns a deep golden-brown.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add whipping cream, salt and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
- Can be prepared 1 week ahead.
- Cool, cover and refrigerate.
- Rewarm over low heat before serving.