Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
oh this is so good. The name says it all.
Make and share this Lemon Butter Souffle with Warm Caramel Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 9 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon, zest of
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 7 large egg whites, room temperature
- icing sugar
Warm Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Whisk yolks with 5 tblsps lemon sugar in small bowl until thick and pale.
- Bring butter and juices to boil in small saucepan, stirring frequently.
- Gradually whisk into yolk mixture.
- Return to saucepan and whisk over medium-low heat until mixture resembles thick custard, about 4 minutes.
- Do not let boil.
- Pour into bowl and cool completely (can be prepared up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature and whisk before continuing.).
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F.
- Butter 2 ½ quart soufflé dish.
- Sprinkle 1 tblsp sugar over bottom and up sides of dish.
- Beat whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining lemon sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.
- Fold ¼ of whites into yolk mixture to lighten.
- Gently fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake until soufflé rises but center is not firm to touch, about 20 minutes.
- Sift icing sugar over top.
- Serve immediately, passing Warm Caramel Sauce separately.
- For Warm Caramel Sauce (about 1 ½ cups): Cook sugar and water in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil without stirring until sugar turns a deep golden-brown.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add whipping cream, salt and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
- Can be prepared 1 week ahead.
- Cool, cover and refrigerate.
- Rewarm over low heat before serving.