oh this is so good. The name says it all.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon, zest of
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 7 large egg whites, room temperature
- icing sugar
Warm Caramel Sauce
- 1Mix sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- 2Whisk yolks with 5 tblsps lemon sugar in small bowl until thick and pale.
- 3Bring butter and juices to boil in small saucepan, stirring frequently.
- 4Gradually whisk into yolk mixture.
- 5Return to saucepan and whisk over medium-low heat until mixture resembles thick custard, about 4 minutes.
- 6Do not let boil.
- 7Pour into bowl and cool completely (can be prepared up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature and whisk before continuing.).
- 8Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F.
- 9Butter 2 ½ quart soufflé dish.
- 10Sprinkle 1 tblsp sugar over bottom and up sides of dish.
- 11Beat whites until soft peaks form.
- 12Gradually add remaining lemon sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.
- 13Fold ¼ of whites into yolk mixture to lighten.
- 14Gently fold in remaining whites.
- 15Transfer to prepared dish.
- 16Bake until soufflé rises but center is not firm to touch, about 20 minutes.
- 17Sift icing sugar over top.
- 18Serve immediately, passing Warm Caramel Sauce separately.
- 19For Warm Caramel Sauce (about 1 ½ cups): Cook sugar and water in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- 20Increase heat and boil without stirring until sugar turns a deep golden-brown.
- 21Reduce heat to low.
- 22Add whipping cream, salt and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
- 23Can be prepared 1 week ahead.
- 24Cool, cover and refrigerate.
- 25Rewarm over low heat before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Butter Souffle with Warm Caramel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.0
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 204.4 mg
- Sodium 234.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 53.3 g
- Protein 7.0 g